What Local Businesses Can Do To Protect Clean Water
Below are a wide variety of business Best Management Practices to prevent stormwater pollution and improve the water quality.
These documents provide general guidance for selecting and implementing BMPs to reduce or eliminate the discharge of pollutants in runoff. They also include a self-inspection checklist to evaluate how well your business is addressing these practices.
- Business Self Inspection Checklist
- Stop Trash – A guide to reducing litter around businesses
- Pollution Prevention: It’s Part of the Plan – A BMP guide for a wide variety of construction and maintenance activities to make sure your crews and subs are doing the job right. (English) | (Spanish)
- Industrial and Commercial Handbook of Best Management Practices
for an online subscription of up to date best practices. In Appendix D of the CA Storm Water Quality Association Handbook for Industrial and Commercial Users, you’ll find a host of BMPs applicable to various businesses including: Animal Care and Handling Facilities; Automotive Services (including Body Repair, Maintenance, and Service Stations); Food Service Facilities; Marinas and Boatyards; Mobile Cleaning (including Transportation, Food Service, Surface Cleaning, Carpets/Upholstery, Swimming Pools & Spas, and Water Softeners); and Landscape Maintenance.
- Don’t Plant a Pest – Aquatic
- Don’t Plant a Pest – Garden Plants and Shrubs
- Don’t Plant a Pest – Trees
- Fresh Concrete and Mortar
- Hire a Bay-Friendly Landscape Professional – Locate a trained professional that can design and maintain drought-resistant landscapes or gardens.
- Native Plant Nurseries
- Principles and Practices of Bay-Friendly Landscaping
- Repairing Creek Bank Erosion
- Retail Nurseries: Best Management Practices for Protecting Local Waterways
- Sustainable Practices for the Landscape Professional
- The 10 Most Wanted Bugs in Your Garden – beneficial insects
- UC IPM Green Bulletin by UC Statewide IPM Program
- Yard Clippings and Your Creek Bank
- Synthetic Turf Maintenance Practices
- Get the Facts! – Stormwater pollution prevention rules and guidelines.
- Get Certified! – Surface Cleaning Pollution Prevention Training Certification.
- Hire! – Surface Cleaning Companies Trained in Pollution Prevention Practices. (Select Marin from the pull down menu and click the ‘Search’ button – it’s not necessary to enter a name.)